Dietkirchen
Community ID
 
1341
 
Town
 
Bonn
 
Diocese
 
Cologne
 
Dedication
 
S. Peter
 
Date Founded
 
1015 or earlier
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine/ possibly a collegiate church/ in the fourteenth century a member of the Eremetical Order of S. Augustine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine by 1166/ Augustinian by the beginning of the fourteenth century
 
Foundation Information
 

The convent was founded before 1015 as a Benedictine nunnery or possibly as a collegiate church. In 1166, the house was reformed by Archbishop Reinald of Dassel, who ordered the imposition of the Benedictine rule. Reinald's dispositions were confirmed in 1174 by his successor, Phillip of Heinsberg, and again between 1174 and 1177 by the anti-Pope Calixtus III. The convent later became a women's chapter for women of the nobility.

 
Dependent Communities
 

Circa 1313 some of the nuns moved to Cologne and founded S. Agatha (S. Agatha).

 
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
  
Manuscript Sources
 

The University library in Bonn possesses a manuscript, beginning casus et pensiones camerariae, written in 1393, from the community, #S 1248.

 
Published Primary Sources
 

Codex diplomaticus rheno-mosellanus, ed. Wilhelm A. Guenther (Coblenz: B. Heriot, 1822-1826), Vol. 1, 383, no. 181.

 
Secondary Sources
 

NULL Handschriftenerbe des Deutschen Mittelalters, vol. 1, p. 165.
Lacomblet, Theodor J., ed. Archiv fur die Geschichte des Niederrheins, 7 vols. (Dusseldorf, 1831-1869), vol. 2, 303.

 
Admin. Notes
 

Further research necessary

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1015
 
Length
 
1153