Dartford (not the medieval name)
Community ID
 
957
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Mary and S. Margaret, King's Langley , Langley, and after 1558, Dartford.
 
Town
 
Rochester
 
Diocese
 
Rochester
 
Region
 
Kent
 
Medieval Location
 
The medieval location is not King's Langley or Dartford.
 
Modern Location
 
Dartford, but further research is neded to verify this.
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary and S. Margaret
 
Date Founded
 
1356-9 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1539 (circa)
 
Religious Order
 
Premonstratensian, then Dominican
 
Foundation Information
 

The community was founded by 4 nuns from France. Ten additional nuns joined the community and it was refounded by Mary as a Dominican community and renamed King's Langley, then moved to Dartford in 1558.

 
Population Counts
 

The house was intended for a prioress and 39 nuns with 6 friars as chaplains. There were 20 nuns in 1381. After the suppression the prioress, 18 nuns, and 7 lay-sisters were granted pensions.

 
Income
 

In 1535 the net income of the community was over 380 pounds.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

All that remains are ruins, for more information see ">http://www.dartfordarchive.org.uk/medieval/religion_pr.shtml"> [Medieval Dartmouth]

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

The foundation date is 1355-6, according to Dugdale; 1355, according to Oliva; second establishment in 1559. Knowles says it was refounded in the reign of Mary, being moved to Dartford in 1558 and again suppressed in November 1559.

 
Admin. Notes
 

[V0305]

 
Contributors
 
Marilyn Oliva
 
Date Started
 
1356
 
Date Finished
 
1539
 
Length
 
1052