Cook Hill
Community ID
 
836
 
Alternate Names
 
Coke Hill, Cokehill, and Cuchull at termination.
 
Town
 
Worcester
 
Diocese
 
Worcester
 
Region
 
Worcestershire
 
Modern Location
 
1 mile south of Cook Hill, route 441
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
Power thinks the dedicaion uncertain.
 
Date Founded
 
1180 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1538
 
Religious Order
 
Cistercian
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Cook Hill was founded by an unknown person around 1180. Its most celebrated patron was Isabel de Mauduit, countess of Warwick, who was improperly styled the foundress.

 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

J. Hilwene, Hewene, later Prioresss at Pinley, Warwickshire Pinley in 1365.

 
Population Counts
 

There were 8 nuns in 1381. Seven nuns were granted pensions after suppression.

 
Visitations
 

The community had a visitation in 1290 according to Victoria County Histories Warwickshire 2:60.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Its most celebrated patron was Isabel de Mauduit, countess of Warwick, who was improperly styled the foundress.

 
Income
 

In 1535 its annual income was valued at 35 pounds, 9 shillings, 3 pence.

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

See present state of medieval structure below.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

A small chancel remains of the nunnery's church, which became a private chapel of Nicholas and Catherine Fonteseue after the dissolution. The chancel measures 42 feet long, 23 feet, 6 inches wide and 17 feet high and still contains the original walls on the east and north sides. Sections of the nunnery's stone can still be seen. A recessed Gothic niche, like a piscina, exists on the exterior north wall. The interior has a "very large blocked surround of the east window and the north wall contains the east jamb of a north arcade, probably towards a chapel. The details . . . are fourteenth and early fifteenth century" (Pevsner, Buildings: Worcestershire, 123, quoted in Nichols, 169-170). On the south of the modern house is a stone wall with some of the convent's wave molding in it. The site has been photographed from the air on three separate occasions (Cambridge Univ.: Dept. of Aerial Photo, NT 94-97, April 26, 1954; BEX 9-1, March 26, 1971; and BYS 72, July 1, 1976) which produced 8 different angles of the house.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

Pipe Rolls 2-4 of Henry II, 62.

 
Admin. Notes
 

[V0281]

 
Contributors
 
Marilyn Oliva
 
Contributors Notes
 

According to a fifteenth-century account of Cook Hill, the nuns were originally at Spernall and of the Benedictine order before they changed site and settled at Cook Hill some 2 miles away. The community was probably of Benedictine origin. The earliest evidence of the house being Cistercian is an entry in the statutes of the order of 1491, confirming the election and installation of a prioress. The nunnery's adoption of Cistercian customs may have been relatively late in its history (Thompson, 102).

 
Date Started
 
1180
 
Date Finished
 
1538
 
Length
 
2664