Chatteris
Community ID
 
829
 
Alternate Names
 
Chateris, Chateriz
 
Town
 
Ely
 
Diocese
 
Ely
 
Region
 
Cambridge
 
Modern Location
 
Chatteris
 
Corporate Status
 
Abbey
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary and All Saints
 
Date Founded
 
1006-16 (though one source attributes foundation to after 1066)
 
Date Terminated
 
1538
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

The Liber Eliensis attributed the foundation of Chatteris to Eadnoth, former abbot of Ramsey and bishop of Dorchester.

 
Notable Heads
 

The first abbess was Eadnoth's sister, Aelfwyn. In the thirteenth century, the heads were NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL

 
Population Counts
 

There were 15 nuns in 1347 and in 1379. There were 13 in 1535-6. The house was surrendered by the prioress and 10 nuns.

 
Dependency Of
 

Chatteris was a dependency of Ramsey, a male community (Veiled Women, vol. 2, 57-58).

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

The family of Eadnoth and the monastery of Ramsey served as benefactors.

 
Relative Wealth
 

Chatteris was one of the poorer communities of religious women in England.

 
Assets/Property
 

According to Domesday Book: a survey of the counties of England, Chatteris held property at Foxton, Burwell, Barrington, Shepreth, Orwell and Over in Cambridgeshire

 
Income
 

According to the Domesday book, the community's net income was 20 Pounds, 10 Shillings and 4 pence. It did not owe a quota of knights. In 1535 the net income was valued at over 97 pounds.

 
Published Primary Sources
  
Miscellaneous Information
 

A portion of Chatteris's property came from land that had been willed to Ramsey by Abbot Eadnoth's father and sister, but was redirected to Chatteris.

 
Admin. Notes
 

[V0262]

 
Contributors
 
Marilyn Oliva, Ericka Swensson
 
Date Started
 
1006
 
Date Finished
 
1538
 
Length
 
696