Castle Hedingham
Community ID
 
919
 
Alternate Names
 
Henningham, Hegham, Hegford
 
Town
 
London
 
Diocese
 
London
 
Region
 
Essex
 
Modern Location
 
Castle Hedingham
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
Holy Cross, S. Mary, James
 
Date Founded
 
1191 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1536
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Incorporated Hospital at Castle Hedingham. (needs verification) According to Thompson, the probable founder of the priory was a member of the de Vere family, possibly NULL (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 220).

 
Notable Heads
 

NULL / NULL (it is unclear whether this Agnes is one person or two different people)

 
Population Counts
 

There were 5 nuns at about the time of suppression.

 
Incorporated Communities
 

The community incorporated the hospital at Castle Hadingham. Further research is necessary to verify this incorporation.

 
Income
 

It was valued at £29 12s. 10d. yearly in the Valor of 1535. Dugdale's Monasticon Volume 4, 436-38

 
Early Documents
 

An illustrated mortuary roll which mourns the death of the prioress Lucy, a daughter of the de Vere family and probable founder of the nunnery. In this, Lucy was described as the foundress of the nunnery, and as Castle Hedingham was the head of the barony of the de Vere family it would seem probable that she was a relation. She may have been a daughter of the first Earl of Oxford (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 180-181).

 
Manuscript Sources
 

British Library, Egerton MS 2849 (mortuary roll).

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

foundation date : 1221-26 (needs verification). In 1279 Archbishop Peckham ordered the nuns to admit Agnes Beauchamp, daughter of Sir Roger Beauchamp. They refused and were issued a reprimand and eventually they relented. In 1373 Pope Gregory XI granted a relaxation of penance for those who visited and gave alms for the nunnery church. 2:122-23 available online at ">http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=39833#n7"> [Victoria County History]

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project, Ericka Swensson
 
Date Started
 
1191
 
Date Finished
 
1536
 
Length
 
1353