Browse Monasticon

Title Dedication Region Date Founded Date Terminatedsort descending
S. Giovanni di Paragnano 1362 (circa: some sources give 1389 or 1400) extant
S. Lucia 1344, July 30 Extant
sul magdalene of Lespinasse S. Martin Midi-Pyrenees 1114, March 6 l789
S. Jakob auf der Hülben 1190 On November 30, 1782, the Regierung began to consider termination of both Himmelpforte and S. Jakob. The latter convent’s life was officially ended with a decree from 18 September 1783 (Wiedemann 82).
S. Maria di Lupeto Saint Mary Tuscany 1334 or earlier see "Incorporated By," below
Himmelpforte (St Agnes) On August 11, 1331, the Himmelpforte church was consecrated by St. Dietrich, Bishop of the Church of Dyonisin. The church was dedicated to S. Agnes and Katharina (Zak 166). The later appended chapel contained an altar dedicated to S. Katharina, and was c. 1235 (Zak 143); it was the fifth oldest Viennese women’s house (141). September 28, 1783 (Schimmer 383)
Vilich Cornelius, Cyprian, Peter (dedicated in Vilich III circa 1020) circa 980 September 4, 1802
Mare de Déu de la Serra Catalonia 1296 Still active
Averbode circa 1134 still active
Pedralbes Virgin Mary of Pedralbes Catalonia 1326 Still active
S. Maria Magdalena Catalonia 1372 Still Active
S. Maria de Jerusalem Catalonia 1453 Still Active
S. Giovanni Evangelista Apulia 1133 still active
S. Maria de Valldonzella Catalonia 1237, 4 November Still Active
S. Maria d'Almata i Sant Christ Catalonia 1250 Still Active
Mare de Deu dels Angels Catalonia 1240 Still Active
Mar de Deu de les Neus Catalonia 1233 Still Active
S. Maria de Vallbona Catalonia 1176 Still active
S. Daniel de Galligants Saint Daniel Catalonia 1017 Still active
Lüne S. Mary (1172) and S. Bartholomew (1200); (see also miscellaneous information) 1172 (circa) still extant
Börstel S. Mary Niedersachsen, district Lippstadt 1244; before 1246 still extant
S. Agnesia alla Sperandia Tuscany 1325 or earlier still extant
Isenhagen S. Mary and S. John 1243 (circa) male; between March 24, 1259-September 14, 1261 female still extant
Ebstorf S. Mauritius 1160 (circa) still extant
S. Feliu de Cadins Catalonia 1165 (circa) still extant
S. Maties de Barcelona Catalonia 1426 Still extant
S. Magno 1100-1199 (12th century) Still extant
Bassum S. Victor and Mauritius (first mentioned in 1289); Mary 849-865 (circa) still extant
Las Huelgas Santa María la Real 1187, January 2 Still extant
S. Marienstern S. Mary (needs verification) 1248, October 13 still extant
Marienthal S. Mary 1234 still extant
Wienhausen S. Mary, S. Laurentius, S. Alexander 1221-1228/9 still extant
Medingen S. Mary and S. Mauritius, S. Moritz 1228 (circa) still extant
Walsrode S. John the Baptist 980 (circa) still extant
S. Francesca Romana a Tor de'Specchi S. Maria Annunciata, S. Francesca Lazio 1434, July 4 (this is the date of the inaugural bull -- the original foundation date is unknown) Still extant as a Benedictine community
S. Chiara Abruzzi 1259 or earlier Still extant as the monastery of S. Clare (all but disbanded during the second half of the 19th c. -- see below).
S. Sperandia Marche Still extant in 19th c.
S. Chiara Piedmont 1251 Still extant in Racconigi
S. Caterina Marche 850 or earlier still extant in the 19th c.
S. Maria de Jonqueres Catalonia 1214 Still extant, but as a community of recluses (after 1293?)
S. Michel Arcangelo Marche Still extant.
S. Mauro Marche Still extant.
S. Romualdo S. Maria di Valdisasso Marche Supressed in 1810, taken over by Capuchin nuns during or before 1833
S. Sebastiano Marche 1200-1299 (circa) Supressed in 1810; used as a hospital until 1874.
S. Maria Magdalena vor Schottentor Founded in 1239 by Duke Friedrich II The community was merged into S. Lorenz in 1533 after the cloister was destroyed in the 1529 Turkish siege. (Karl Czoernig, Ethnographie der Oesterreichischen monarchie, (Vienna: K.-K. Hof- und staatsdruckerei, 1857), 143)
Olympiades The fate of the convent after the 7th century is unknown.
Boxwell Uncertain uncertain
Bodmin Uncertain uncertain
S. Pere de Burgal Catalonia 948 (circa) Uncertain. May have ceased to be a female community in 1064, when the monastery was turned over to the authority of Count Ramon of Pallars Jussà. Community was secularized in 1570.
S. Barbara Apulia 1324 or earlier unknown

Pages