Bretford
Community ID
 
809
 
Alternate Names
 
Bretford Cell
 
Town
 
Coventry
 
Region
 
Warwickshire
 
Medieval Location
 
East Coventry
 
Modern Location
 
Bretford
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Date Founded
 
1154 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1167 or earlier
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

S. Thompson lists the founders of the community as Geoffrey de Clinton and his wife Agnes Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 219). Clinton made a grant of 150 acres to found a community of nuns to a certain Naomi, and the women were to follow the rule and customs which she would institute Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 216). The community was founded for 2-3 nuns. They disliked the location and left, donating the site to the male monastery of Kenilworthy with the consent of founder Geoffrey Clinton.

 
Notable Heads
 

Noemi, first votaress, at the time of foundation

 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

Seburge at the date of founding

 
Population Counts
 

There were 2-3 in about 1154 and 2 about 1167.

 
Assets/Property
 

Property at Bretford, soon alienated to male monastery Kenilworthy.

 
Early Documents
 

The foundation document(before 1154) is in the Kenilworthy cartulary. The community charter is also in the Kenilworthy cartulary.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

British Library Harleian MS 3650, fos. 69 and 5r-v

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

No one at the hospital at Bretford during the 12-13th century (The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, 2:109).

 
Admin. Notes
 

edited Mad 6/10/97 [V0199]

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1154
 
Date Finished
 
1167
 
Length
 
1137