Community ID
Neustadt on the Aisch
Medieval Location
The convent was located on the right bank of the Aisch river.
Modern Location
Neustadt on the Aisch; in the governmental district of Mittelfranken; in the administrative district of Neustadt/Aisch-Bad Windsheim.
Blessed Virgin Mary
Date Founded
1275-1278 (circa)
Date Terminated
Religious Order
Foundation Information

This noble Cistercian convent was founded by Friedrich III of Zollern, Duke of Nürnberg, and his wife, Helena, Duchess of Saxony. The actual date of foundation is unknown, as are the financial provisions and the convent's incorporation into the Cistercian order, due to the loss of convent archives during the Peasants' War. The abbot of Langheim was responsible for the spiritual welfare of the nuns, while the family of the founders retained the advocacy over the convent (Krausen, 33).


In 1459 and 1464 the chapter father of Citeaux had to deal with nuns who had broken their vows of chastity.

Secular Political Affiliations

In 1388 the convent became involved in the dispute between Frriedrich V and the city of Nürnberg and Windsheim.

Social Characteristics

This was a noble foundation. In addition to the founding family, several members of the Seckendorff family took the veil at Birkenfeld.

Relative Wealth

The convent's wealth was doubtless increased by the dowries of women entering the community (Krausen, 33). In July 1379 Cardinal Pileus, the abbot of Ebrach granted permission for the absolution of nuns admitted through simony in several convents, among them Birkenfeld (Krausen, 33).


The parishes of Gerhardshofen and Unterlaimbach as well as Frühmesser in Dachsbach were bound to provide feudal duties to the convent.

Art & Artifacts

The convent's insignia displayed a veiled Mary sitting on a chair, holding a croiser in her right hand (Krausen, 34).

Architecture & Archaeology

The convent church with its single nave and nuns' choir was probably built by the building school in Ebrach. It is a good example of the architecture for Cistercian convents in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries (Krausen, 34).

State Of Medieval Structure

Only the church of the community remains.

Manuscript Sources

The archives for the community are found in the Hauptstaatsarchiv in München (Munich) and in the Staatsarchiv in Bamberg. Some documents may also be found in the Staatsarchiv in Nürnberg.

Secondary Sources

HUEMER, B. Verzeichnis der deutschen Cisterzienserinnenkloester. (StMBO 37, 1916).
Die Klöster des Zisterzienserordens in Bayern

Miscellaneous Information

During the Peasants' War the Abbess Kunegund of Gottsfeld had to flee with her nuns and the convent fell victim to plundering. The last nun mentioned in the community is Barbara of Leonrod, who left the convent in 1550 after the convent had come into the possession of Margrave Alkibiades in 1545 (Krausen, 34).

Admin. Notes

more research necessary Hist. Staetten, 89.

June Mecham
Date Started
Date Finished