Baysdale
Community ID
 
853
 
Alternate Names
 
Hutton, Basedale, Bayside. It was known as Bayside at termination.
 
Town
 
York
 
Diocese
 
York
 
Region
 
Yorkshire
 
Medieval Location
 
Originally founded at Hutton, moved to Nunthorpe in 1166/7, then moved to present-day Baysdale near the parish of Stokesley in the territory of Westerdale Cleveland, North Riding
 
Modern Location
 
Baysdale, 4-1/2 miles east/north-east of Broughton, route 1257.
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1162 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1536-7 (needs verification)
 
Religious Order
 
Cistercian
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded at Hutton by Ralph de Nevill on grant by Ernald de Percy, moved to Nunthorpe in 1166/7, to Baysdale in 1189 on a grant by Guy de Bovincourt. Adam of Brus granted a license to Ralph de Nevill.

 
Notable Heads
 

First recorded head is NULL, followed by NULL, NULL, and NULL. There was a vacancy for a few years until NULL was elected in 1301. Joan faced dismissal in 1306 because of her dilapidations of the goods of the house and other offenses, but it appears that she was allowed to keep her position. By 1308, the records describe her simply as a nun, not as prioress. The next known prioress is NULL. Her successor, NULL, also faced disciplinary action and deposition. We do not know the names of prioresses between 1344 and 1377, when NULL was elected, nor the names of her successors until NULL, elected in 1361.

 
Population Counts
 

There were 12 at dissolution.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Ernald of Percy granted land at Hutton and a mill at Thorp to Ralph de Nevill, the founder; Guy de Bovincourt granted land at Baysdale.

 
Assets/Property
 

Owned property at Basedale and Nunthorpe. In 1291 assets were valued at only 5 pounds, the poorest house in Taxatio of 1291. In 1535, annual income was 20 pounds, 1 shilling, 4 pence, according to Suppression Commission (PRO, SP 5/2/15-23).

 
Income
 

The comunity owned the right to the cemetery at Basedale used only for nuns, sisters, conversi.

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

Aerial photographs from different angles taken of site on 7-15-52 (Cambridge Univ., Dept. of Aerial Photo, JY 24-28) showed no medieval remains.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

No medieval remains.

 
Relics
 

Supposedly had the milk of the Blessed Mother in veneration.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

PRO, SP 5/2/15-23

 
Clients/Tenants/Other
 

There were lay brothers recorded in 1197-1239.

 
Admin. Notes
 

termination date from Oliva
[V0436]

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1162
 
Date Finished
 
1536
 
Length
 
1100