Arthington
Community ID
 
852
 
Town
 
York
 
Diocese
 
York
 
Region
 
Yorkshire
 
Medieval Location
 
West Riding
 
Modern Location
 
Arthington
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1154-5 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1540
 
Religious Order
 
Cluniac
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

The community was probably founded for the usual 13 nuns. It survived the suppression of alien priories, like the male Cluniac monastery. It was founded by Peter of Arthington and his son, Serlo (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 92).

 
Notable Heads
 

NULL
NULL
NULL
NULL
NULL
NULL was elected in 1312, although she ran away that year and was sent to Yedingham when she returned.
NULL was elected in her place.
NULL
NULL
NULL

 
Population Counts
 

According to the Victoria County History, 11 nuns, including the prioress received pensions at the suppression.

 
Secular Political Affiliations
 

The right of presenting a girl to Arthington was given to Andrew de Tange by Edward I. Alice de Romeli's grants to the nuns were confirmed by Warin fitz Gerold and William de Curci her son, and it was stated that she had the inheritable right always to have a nun nominated by her in the convent (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest 184).

 
Assets/Property
 

Owned various lands within the vicinity.

 
Income
 

It derived income from the church of Maltby. In 1535 the community's net income was over 11 pounds.

 
Published Primary Sources
  
Miscellaneous Information
 

foundation date : 1150 (needs verification) , Oliva

 
Conversi/ae and servants
 

There were lay-brothers in 1318 and a warden in 1327.

 
Admin. Notes
 

[V0039]

 
Contributors
 
Marilyn Oliva
 
Contributors Notes
 

According to S. Thompson, the order of Arthington is uncertain. It is generally held to be a Benedictine community, because, according to the bishop, it was of the same order. Later evidence suggests that at some point Arthingthon claimed to be Cistercian, and in the 16th century the priory was included in a list of houses to be visited by Cistercian abbots (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 92).

 
Date Started
 
1154
 
Date Finished
 
1540
 
Length
 
1518