Angers
Community ID
 
2015
 
Alternate Names
 
Notre-Dame de la Charite, Beatae Mariae Caritatis Andegavensis; Ronceray d'Angers
 
Town
 
Angers
 
Diocese
 
Angers
 
Region
 
6P
 
Corporate Status
 
Abbey
 
Dedication
 
Virgin Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1028 (July 14)
 
Date Terminated
 
1789 (needs verification)
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded by Countess Agnes of Anjou and her husband, Count Fulk Nerra

 
First Members
 

28 nuns, headed by Abbess Leoburga

 
Population Counts
 

28 in 1028, 33 in 1073, 30 in 1706. Population probably hovered somewhere between 30 and 50.

 
Dependent Communities
 

Churches and priories include: Cohemon, Chauvon, Saint-Cyr and Saint-Julitte, Nantes, Vernoil-le-Fourier, Saint Aubin de Sieches, Saint Lambert du Lattey, Notre Dame de Prigny, Avenieres, and la Jubaudiere.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Mostly the local nobility of teh Loire regio: the counts of Agers and Toulouse and the castellan families of Chemille, Chateaugontier, Laval, Cholet, etc. After Henry II became King of England, patronage of the comital family was
largely transferred to Fontevvrrauld.

 
Social Characteristics
 

Generally upper-class women.

 
Relative Wealth
 

Fairly wealthy, though not wealthy compared to men's houses in the area.

 
Assets/Property
 

Varied; mainly invested in vineyards, mills and other types of agricultrual property.

 
Charitable/Work
 

In the late 12th century, the community became responsible for the charity hospital of Saint-Jean d'Angers.

 
Litigations
 

Numerous, particularly with regard to parish rights of the parish churches of La Doutre (Angers).

 
Literary Works
 

Several classical poems excanged between the nuns of Ronceray and Baudride Bourgeuil in the early twelfth century (See Women Writers of the Middle Ages: a Critical Study of Texts from Perpetua (203) to Marguerite Porete (1310)).

 
Early Documents
 

six cartulary rolls, dating from the early 13th century

 
Art & Artifacts
 

One eleventh-century statue of the Virgin and Child.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

Much of the structure is currently a part of the Ecole des Arts et Metier (Angers). The cloister, the parish church of La Trinite and the Hopital Saint-Jacques are still extant; most other sites are preserved as museum or gallery spaces.

 
Relics
 

A hair of the Blessed Virgin; small relics of St. Pancras and St. Gatian de Tours.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

Most are held by Archives Départementales de Maine-et-Loire and Angers, Bibliothèque Municipale.

 
Contributors
 
Bruce L. Venarde; Belle Tuten
 
Date Started
 
1028
 
Date Finished
 
1789
 
Length
 
1616