Andlau
Community ID
 
1426
 
Town
 
Straßburg
 
Diocese
 
Mainz (Straßburg, according to Kramer)
 
Modern Location
 
near Barr
 
Dedication
 
S. Peter, S. Fabian, S. Felicitas
 
Date Founded
 
887 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1789
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine (presumably)
 
Foundation Information
 

This convent was founded with the patronage of Richardis, wife of Charles the Fat, in 887. The convent was founded on the basis of Richardis' personal property. The community dates back to a Merovingian foundation (Heineken, 66-67). The nuns were provided with the right to a free election of their abbess after the death of Richardis by means of a document from the king (Heineken, 67). This was a Benedictine community.

 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

Richgardis spent the end of her life within the convent of Andlau.

 
Early Documents
 

The stautes of the queen Richgarda for the community still exist. The first ten "canones" consist of general rules, the next statements concern the office of provost for the community, and the document concludes with a list of the property possessed by the community. The document does not specifically mention a monastic rule to be followed (Heineken, 101).

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The District archiv (Bezirksarchiv) in Straßburg preserves a fragment of a Sacramentar., (sine numero), dating from the eleventh century. The Seminary in Straßburg also preserves a Breviary, dated to 1423, # 7b.

 
Published Primary Sources
 

Grandidier. Hist. de l'eglise de Strassbourg II, 304. (Statutes of the community)

 
Manuscripts Produced
 

The District archiv (Bezirksarchiv) in Straßburg preserves a fragment of a Sacramentar., (sine numero), dating from the eleventh century. The Seminary in Straßburg also preserves a Breviary, dated to 1423, # 7b.

 
Admin. Notes
 

More research necessary

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
887
 
Date Finished
 
1789
 
Length
 
1264