Agata in Monte
Community ID
 
692
 
Alternate Names
 
Monte Regio; Monte Nuovo
 
Town
 
Pavia
 
Region
 
Piedmont
 
Date Founded
 
673
 
Date Terminated
 
1782: the goods of the house were ceded to the civic hospital of S. Matteo. In 1813, the lands were bought by Count Giacomo Fantoni, who formed a public bath with the many rooms.
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine, then Franciscan (Poor Clares?)
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded as a Benedictine house, but changed orders in 1242, when the population had fallen to 3.

 
Assets/Property
 

The house wasa endowed with revenues and privileges that called for her subjection to the pope. Patronage was reserved for the nuns of five ecclesiastical benefices: S. Mishele in monte, S. Michele di Mortana, S. Martino, S. Damiano in Zerbo, and S. Michele in Romano.

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

The church had three aisles, but in 1512 (when it was rebuilt because it was near to collapse) it was reinforced with bricks on the exterior, two arches in the interior, and the entrance to the east was opened. At the the main altar there was a tableau reppresenting the birth of Mary of Alessandro Buonvicini, called Moretto.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

[1] Milan, Archivio di Stato, Fondo di religione, P. A. 619-620 (1199-1585); 5940-41 (1441-1729)

[2] Pavia, Archivio, II 95 A-B, MS mid XIX, Capsoni, Gaetano, __Notizie di vescovi, chiesi e monasteri di Pavia e notizie varie al culto.__

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
673
 
Date Finished
 
1782
 
Length
 
626