Abbotsbury (needs verification)
Community ID
 
2778
 
Dedication
 
St. Peter
 
Date Founded
 
1026 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
According to Dubdale, the male monastery was surrendered in 1539
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
St. Benedict
 
Foundation Information
 

A male Benedictine house was founded through the generosity of Orc, Cnut's steward, and his wife Tola. On Orc's death, Tola retained an interest in the foundation and bequeathed all her goods to the house. Another source reported that a priest and his wife lived at a church on the property (Dugdale's Monasticon Volume 1, 276). In his longer treatment of Abbotsbury, Dugdale makes no mention of resident religious women, Dugdale's Monasticon Volume 3, 52-62). Though dubious according to Foot, M. A. Meyer suggests that religious women may have also been associated with this monastery (Patronage of the West Saxon Royal Nunneries in Late Anglo-Saxon England, 332-358).

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Orc, steward of Cnut, and his wife Tola founded the monastery and continued to see to its welfare through their lifetimes.

 
Published Primary Sources
  
Miscellaneous Information
 

In the later Anglo-Saxon period, two religious women, Eadwulfu and Saethryth, had a connection to the male community, probably as vowesses (Veiled Women, vol. 1, 184).

 
Admin. Notes
 

This entry is listed by Foot as having "no grounds" for being included as a place that housed religious women. Need more evidence for women at Abbotsbury.

 
Contributors
 
Ruth Robbins, Ericka Swensson
 
Date Started
 
1026
 
Date Finished
 
?