Wienhausen, Nuns' choir detail of the convent's founders
ID
 
379
 
Original Country
 
Germany
 
Region
 
Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony)
 
Sorting Title
 
Wienhausen, Nuns' choir detail of the convent's founders
 
Subject
 

This detail from the scenes of the Heavenly Jerusalem painted on the ceiling of the nuns' choir at Wienhausen portrays the convent's founders, Duchess Agnes of Landsberg-Meissen and her husband, Henry, duke of Saxony and count-palantine of the Rhine, and son of Henry the Lion. (They are located in the center). The first abbess of Wienhausen, Eveza, is portrayed to the left of the duke. Also portrayed are the provosts and other abbesses of the convent.

 
Creation Date
 
1330-1335
 
Century
 
14th
 
Style Genre
 
Gothic
 
Work Type
 
manuscript
 
Original Location
 

Wienhausen

 
Historical Context
 

The nuns' choir at Wienhausen was constructed circa 1330 and painted circa 1335. It is one of the few early Gothic painted interiors to survive. Artistically, the painting shows similarities with the murals in the cathedral at Braunschweig, and the artisans may have come from a workshop in Braunschweig. The paintings may also have been influenced by trends originating in England. Kloster Wienhausen: Die Wandmalereien im Nonnenchor. In 1488 the paintings were restored by three nuns under the direction of the Abbess Susanna Potstock. Restoration work was also undertaken in the nineteenth century.

 
Descriptive Notes
 

Abbess Eveza wears the typical head covering or crown of the nuns of Wienhausen, with its red cross on her forehead. Later images also depict such a head covering. See Wienhausen, Cistercian nun with Bishop Bernward of Hildesheim

 
Current Repository
 

Wienhausen

 
Photo Credit
 
Praun Kunstverlag, Munich
 
Statement
 

Abbess Renate von Randow; Wolfgang Brandis

 
Image of Wienhausen, Nuns' choir detail of the convent's founders.