Wienhausen, Agnes of Landsberg
ID
 
339
 
Original Country
 
Germany
 
Region
 
Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony)
 
Sorting Title
 
Wienhausen, Agnes of Landsberg
 
Subject
 

A statue of the founder of Wienhausen, Duches Agnes of Landsberg (Meissen). Agnes holds a model of the convent church in her hand.

 
Century
 
13th
 
Format Medium
 

limestone with painting

 
Original Location
 

Wienhausen

 
Historical Context
 

This statue portrays the founder of the convent of Wienhausen, Duchess Agnes of Landsberg. Agnes was a daughter of Konrad of Landsberg, Margrave of the Lausitz, and the second wife of Duke Henry of Saxony, Count Palantine near the Rhine, who was the elder son of Henry the Lion. According the convent chronicle, Agnes founded the convent in the neighboring town of Nienhagen circa 1221 and the convent moved to its present location in Wienhausen circa 1231. Agnes later retired to the convent as a widow. This limestone statue may have been originally intended as a tomb monument, although this theory has been questioned. The sculpture seems to reflect the influence of sculpture in Naumburg and Meissen. It dates to the late thirteenth century.

 
Related Work
 

Wienhausen, Duchess Agnes appears in this dedication mural; Wienhausen, Dedication mural

 
Current Repository
 

Wienhausen

 
Photo Credit
 
Praun Kunstverlag, Munich
 
Statement
 

Abbess Renate von Randow; Wolfgang Brandis

 
Image of Wienhausen, Agnes of Landsberg.